Saturday, July 25, 2015

A testing and evaluation position that didn't make the cut (S.Hrg.112-161)

My birthday present to myself included a trip to Old Spitalfields Market, an open-air Victorian venue modernized with glass ceilings that allow the 18th-century architecture of Christ Church Spitalfields to be seen from its aisles (left). The market was on my list of places to visit anyway, but the London Brewers' Market being held there upped the ante. With more than 20 breweries on hand, I had to choose wisely which half-pints I would sample (right). 
I decided to forgo the numerous pale ales and bitters and find the less prevalent types of beer. I started with a summery Raspberry Lemon Saison from Partizan Brewing, which had the color of berries but the taste of citrus. Sticking with the citrus theme, I then tasted the tart and lemony Ruskin Wheat from Canopy Beer Co. I'd been hankering for dark brews for a while, so I finished out with two stouts: the Ancho Cocoa Stout from One Mile End, which had a lot of cocoa but only a little chili flavor, and the Chocolate Milk Stout from Kew Brewery, which tasted like Hershey's syrup mixed in warm milk, but in alcohol form. 

The taste that just missed my list was the Orchid vanilla mild from East London Brewing Company. At some point, I stopped looking at the choices because I didn't want to feel bad about passing up better brews. (Incidentally, if anyone is still looking to buy me a late birthday present, I suggest signing me up for the Honest Brew delivery service.) The best part of the festival was that I could walk around Old Spitalfields, which was also hosting the retro market and Independent Label Market (left), while I sipped my suds. As part of the latter event, DJs played sets to entice participants to sample some vinyl alongside their malt and hops (right).
With my final cup in hand, the wait in line for lunch was much more tolerable. Once again, it was a tough decision, but I settled on Nana Fanny's salt-beef bagel sandwich. It barely won out over the johnnycakes of Boss Hoss Street Food, whose tempting aromas wafted over from an adjacent stand.
After refueling, I was ready to head to the second festival of the day: CiderDog, held at The Miller, a live music and comedy venue near the London Bridge (left). After buying tokens inside, I popped a squat at a picnic table outside (right), so I could enjoy the sounds of the Solid Steel Band.
 
Because more than 100 beverages were on offer, you were encouraged to order by number. I cracked under the pressure, and unable to decide, I opted for the bartender's highly drinkable recommendation: a "medium" Black Dragon cider by Gwynt y Ddraig, which managed to be sufficiently appley without being overly saccharine.
I wanted to try a variety of cider styles, but in order to simplify the selection process, I decided to keep picking ones with animal names. Next up was the aptly named Badger's Spit by Chant Cider. I clearly have a ways to go in developing my cider palette, as this "dry" seemed like it was made from crabapples (unfortunately, when I was a youngster, I ate one off a tree in my yard, not knowing it wouldn't taste like your average Red Delicious). I made progress, though, because as I tried the "fruity" Piglet's Choice by Nempnett Cider Company, the vinegary aftertaste faded away, in much the same way the soapy aftertaste slowly disappeared when I first started drinking IPAs.

I lucked into a second "fruity" variety when one of my tablemates volunteered to trade sips. We speculated on the source of the notable taste in Rootin' Tootin' by Farmer Jim's; she proposed rhubarb, and I posited ginger. I was pleasantly surprised when my "perry" sample, Panting Partridge by Newton Court Cider, was quite winelike. Generally, I avoid the fake sweetness of mass-market perries and ciders, which is why opted out of choosing a style from the "sweet" list. Sadly, the also-ran that I didn't end up tasting had my favorite adjective-animal name: Crazy Goat by Lilley's. Ah well, at least I'll be able to remember the name easily enough to hopefully try it in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment